The core administrative centre of the institute is the Administration and is headed by the Principal. The Centre is operating under the following departments:
Administration, Fishing, Deck, Engine & Language Departments.
The Management with heads of training departments as members provides technical advise on respective departments
The Principal is the head of the institute and Administration Department and is responsible to the Secretary of Ministry of Labour & Human Resource Development for:
- The overall management, co-ordination and the conduct of the affairs of the Institute in accordance to the Kiribati Government Policy. He is responsible to the Secretary, Ministry of Labour & Human Resource Development and in close consultation with aid donors.
- Regularly reporting to the Secretary on the affairs of the Institute
- Approving the Institutes policies developed by the Management
- Providing counselling to members of the staff and trainees when and where required
- Issuing public statements and political responses/issues to the Secretary
- Assisting the Secretary in representations to the Government, Foreign Aid Agencies and or other bodies of concern to the Institute
- Ensuring that the Budget is properly used
- Overall day to day administration of the Institute in strict observance of the National Condition of Service
- To work in close consultation with the Marine Division on changes to legislations, conventions and codes that affects the institutes’ curriculum and operation.
- To communicate with Marine Division and relevant bodies of new implementations introduced to the training and developments to the institutes that relates to standard of the Fisheries Training Centre